[Asterisk-Users] Can this config sustain 30 users?

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 11:33:01 MST 2006

Hi Erick -

> So at the end, i cannot provide prices (without being overkill) to a
> potential customer without spending money on a system prior to quote
> and test it.

You can always do what you just did and ask on the list.

I think the real reason there is no "table" or chart for hardware
specs is that there are just too many things you can do with asterisk.
 What connection technologies are you using?  IAX, SIP, MGCP, H323,
Skinny?  Are you transcoding?  What kind of transcoding?  Are you
using PSTN Hardware Cards?  How many channels?  Are you recording
calls?  Are you using meetme?  All these questions (and MANY more) are
relevant, and for each different answer you can potentially have
radically different hardware specs.

I've found that many software vendors neglect to provide hardware
specs for their server software.  Digium/Asterisk is certainly not
alone in this.  Even hardware vendors are guilty - try asking Cisco
how much RAM or CPU you need in a router in order to do a particular
task.

You're note completely in the dark either.  Many folks have done
scalability testing with asterisk and have published their results.
It's easy enough to read those results and make comparisons to what
you'll be doing with asterisk.  I also think it's important to note
that asterisk has been used in enterprises since at least 2002, and no
hardware from then can hold a candle to 2006 hardware.

- Noah