[Asterisk-Users] Snom high SIP ping time

Steve Glaus techsupport at peachnet.com
Tue Jun 13 10:42:42 MST 2006

Mike Hammett wrote:
> I don't know everything that's going on as someone else has been
> working on the project, but it hasn't really been going anywhere, so I
> had some questions.
>
> We've got some Snom 320s with Asterisk 1.2.9.1 (I believe).  All was
> well (with a previous release), but the phones started to get real
> choppy.  We are also running a softphone at this location and it was
> fine.  The SIP qualify was returning ping times anywhere from 20 to 70
> ms over a sparsely used LAN.  Command prompt (ICMP) pings were under 1
> ms.  No amount of different Asterisk versions or phone firmware
> revisions seems to solve this.  All was well, then (as far as we know)
> without changes, it crapped out.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> ----
> Mike Hammett
> Intelligent Computing Solutions
> http://www.ics-il.com

I'm having much the same issues only I'm using Cisco 7960 phones. When I
do a 'sip show peers' I'm getting times in excess of 300ms. A soft phone
on the same network (x-lite), is reporting times of 4 ms. Related to
this (I think), I'm getting audio issues. The person being called can
hear the caller fine but the callee's voice drops in and out excessively.

I have qualify set to yes in the sip definitions for all the clients
(Including the soft phone). Does anyone know what is causing this. I'm
not aware what the sip ping times were earlier, but the audio issues
seemed to have started spontaneously.

Anyone  have any idea regarding this?