[Asterisk-Users] Can this config sustain 30 users?

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Tue Jun 13 08:29:58 MST 2006

Maybe you are over thinking it. I have 200 users on a quad Xeon 700 with 2
PRI's and we regularly have 40-60 channels up, no problem (believe me, if
there was a problem I'd have 200 guys freaking on my head). I rarely see >
30% single-CPU usage, and that's only when Sendmail is invoked to send out a
voicemail.

But yes, transcoding and reasonable echocancel values is key. If you are
connecting to the PSTN, ulaw all the way. If you are connecting to a
provider, use the codec of your choice as long as your provider supports it,
and make sure every phone and endpoint is set to use the same codec.

I also have 30 IAX remote sites that support from 1 to 5 users, on P-II
233's. I use them because they are bulletproof and they are so cheap if
something gets hosed we just throw it away and put in another one. Again, no
problem

Maybe try your cheapo machine and if it doesn't work try a better box. You
already have the cheap machine, and the card will remain the same regardless
of what box you use.