[Asterisk-Users] Hard drive write cache

shadowym shadowym at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 12 17:34:01 MST 2006

I am looking at ways to harden my asterisk install to prevent computer
related issues from happening.  I am concerned about about disk write cache.
That seems to be a major source of hard drive corruption on power failure.
Hard Drive corruption is simply unacceptable for the 99.999% uptime
requirements of my Asterisk install that needs to be as reliable as a
proprietary PBX.

Of course I will be using redundant power supplies, raid 1 and use a UPS.
None of those things mean much if the power cords accidentally get pulled
from the back of the server.  Unlikely as it may be I have to consider ALL
possibilities.

So is disabling the write cache a good way to reduce the risk of hard drive
corruption for an Asterisk server?  I am not too concerned about the reduced
performance/lifetime of hardrives with write cache disabled since Asterisk
is not a very write intensive environment.  Even with lot's of voicemail
going on.

Any other recommendations/links for increasing the reliability of Asterisk
servers?