[Asterisk-Users] IAX DID channels as incoming hunt group?

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Mon Jun 12 09:34:48 MST 2006

Stephen Bosch wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am looking into getting incoming IAX DID channels for our office. I've
> found a provider.
>
> What I want, though, is an incoming hunt group -- that is, say we have
> three lines:
>
> 555 1212
> 555 1213
> 555 1214
>
> Calls coming in on 555 1212 may end up on any one of the three. If 555
> 1212 is busy, the call forwards to 555 1213, and so on.
>
> I was under the impression that this has to be done by the carrier or
> provider, but I want to make sure: if they are IAX channels, is there
> any way to do this in Asterisk on the receiving end?
>
> Shouldn't a provider offering IAX DID be able to do this for me before
> the calls are sent to my Asterisk server?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Stephen-

In the VoIP world technologically there's no reason why you would need
an incoming hunt group as you say. As a call comes in, the provider
would forward it to you - there's no actual group of channels... just
your account information. Now - some providers may limit how many you
can actually have up simultaneously but that's a feature of their system.

--
Joshua Colp
Software Developer
jcolp at digium.com