[Asterisk-Users] SOLVED - Cisco router and "488 Not acceptable here" messages

James Harper james.harper at bendigoit.com.au
Sun Jun 11 17:02:59 MST 2006

> James Harper wrote:
>
> >Additionally, just to satisfy myself that I wasn't going mad I
changed
> >the port from 5060 to 5070 and now things are working, so something
is
> >definitely playing up on port 5060.
> >
> >James
> >

> You probably have are behind NAT and your NAT device has a SIP ALG.
> Changing the port disables the ALG.  The ALG is broken.

I was going to try upgrading the IOS on the router sooner or later, but
did it sooner on the basis of your comments, and it's now working!
Thanks!

If anyone is interested, the Cisco device in question is a Cisco
837-K9-64 ADSL modem/router. I was using IOS 12.4.7 and it was botching
up the outgoing INVITE packets. Upgrading to IOS 12.4.8 solved the
problem.

The INVITE packet was being sent by SJphone (a soft SIP phone), so maybe
something funny in there was triggering the bug in the Cisco IOS, and it
would otherwise have passed SIP packets from other clients just fine.

James