[Asterisk-Users] Quad T1 Card

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Fri Jun 9 09:24:48 MST 2006

Joshua Colp wrote:
> Colin Anderson wrote:
>>> What I'd love to see is a reasonably grunty DSP available on the cards
>>> that is _user programmable_. There's some stuff a host processor isn't
>>> particularly good at (at least at present... most CPUs have an inbuilt
>>> FPU, but when do we get an inbuilt DSP?), and wouldn't it be nice to
>>> have 100% stable fax reception because all the time-critical processing
>>> is done in the DSP?
>>

>> Interesting...I wonder what Transmeta Crusoes are going for these days?
>> Probably $15 per thousand. And programmable. And with more than enough
>> grunt
>> (DSP or not) to echo-can or recieve fax.
>> digium are you listening?
>
> We're sorry, your call could not be completed as dialed. Please check
> the number and try your call again later. This is a recording. 2CY.

Now we're in! Here's my take on things (being a mostly VoIP person).
While I think the idea of a user programmable core would be nice, I
would personally leave it up to the manufacturers that specialize in
each thing. Ocstasic is great for echo cancellation and Brooktrout aka
now Cantata for faxing.

These aren't the views of Digium, just my past experience.

--
Joshua Colp
Software Developer
jcolp at digium.com