[Asterisk-Users] Fun with Echo

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 09:22:42 MST 2006

On 6/9/06, Brian Swan <swannie at swannie.net> wrote:
> Actually, that's what I started out with, and outboud calls were the
> same as now, inbound calls had a huge amount of echo (until I turned
> on Aggressive).  In my testing I actually didn't notice any
> difference between KB1 actually worked better then MG2....  thanks
> for the advice, though!
>
> Brian

What equipment is being used?... Phones, ISDN/analogue lines, adapter
cards etc. Perhaps people have some specific experience of the
equipment you are using.

The asterisk echo-canceller does not echo cancel on behalf of the
remote party, only for the local user (the user on the asterisk side
of zaptel), so if the remote party is hearing echo, it may be caused
by failings in the local infrastructure - e.g. Cheap sh*t plastic SIP
phones are a common cause, where there is a huge echo path through the
cheapo handset (a decent phone will cancel this, or simply not cause
it)

Another cause of echo I have found is cheap european E1 service
providers who route calls through foreign countries as a LCR measure,
but do not use echo cancelling (which should almost always be done by
the telco on an international call leg) - This may also apply to
inter-state call legs in the USA.

Regards,
Steve