[Asterisk-Users] exactly what ports are required for sip phone to sip voip connection ?

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Fri Jun 9 08:07:23 MST 2006

I can call/receive fine from a zap fxs connected phone to my voip
provider through asterisk. I can call from a sip softphone extension to
the zap extension just fine. However using a sip phone extension
connected to asterisk and calling out through the voip line there is no
sound.  I was able to resolve the problem temporarily by making the
asterisk server the DMZ and entirely dropping the firewall.  However
this seems to be extremely unwise.  I would have thought that the sip
softphone connected to asterisk inside the firewall then asterisk would
connect to the voip provider.  What I don't understand is how the
firewall and port forwarding is different between using the sip
softphone and the zap fxs port.  So far my Googling has not uncovered
the secret here.

My next step was to get several sip hard phones like the gxp-2000 but I
fear that they will work as poorly as the softphones are now.

Any suggestions ?

Mike