[Asterisk-Users] PRI & Fax Passthrough

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Jun 9 06:40:14 MST 2006

On Thursday 08 June 2006 23:08, Callum McGillivray wrote:
> We currently have an ISDN 30 installed on a Dell 2850, using a single
> port Digium ISDN card.  We would like to add an analogue card, plug our
> fax machine in and have Asterisk simply detect the fax and pass it
> through to the fax machine on the Analogue line.

Just use a little SIP ATA for the fax machine and bring it into Asterisk to go
through the PRI that way.  It's small, it's cheap, and once Asterisk gets
T.38 support it will be flawless, but our testing with similar matters is
that a 1-hop LAN VOIP connection will not cause serious trouble for any fax
machine... not even our craptastic Xerox and Canon fax machines (both
notorious for not being friendly in the first place).

-A.