[Asterisk-Users] ISDN BRI (I.430) over ethernet

James Harper james.harper at bendigoit.com.au
Fri Jun 9 03:57:52 MST 2006

> Do you mean receiving traffic on 2 BRI lines (2 channels spread on 2
> separate ports) connected to 2 differents boxes so that one line or
box
> failure wouldn't affect incoming calls ?
>
> If positive, do these providers price this service (2 ports - 2
channels)
> at an intermediate level between simple capacity (1 port -2 channels)
and
> double capacity (2 ports - 4 channels) ?

Our main PBX (not asterisk - Samsung DCS) has a 4BRI card in it, with 3
of them connected to the PSTN. If I unplug one of them then the PBX
knows not to use it for outgoing (eg when I hit 0 to get an outside
line, it doesn't select the one that has no L1). Incoming calls are also
not affected. The only change is that now I have 4 incoming lines
instead of 6.

So I guess the telco equipment knows how to handle a line down
condition. If you really need that sort of level of failover then
purchase some extra redundancy in terms of incoming lines. Probably
cheaper than any other elaborate setup.

Do respond if I've misunderstood though :)

James