[Asterisk-Users] Anyone with GSM488 experience?

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Thu Jun 8 10:01:50 MST 2006

On Jun 8, 2006, at 6:49 AM, Jim Lynch wrote:

> I need another fxo line.  Has anyone had any experience with
> connecting the gsm488 into asterisk?

If you mean the Handytone 488 from grandstream, yes.

It has some pretty major issues IMO.  First of all, when the incoming
calls through the FXO arrive, the FXS insists on ringing, and if you
pick it up during or slightly after the first ring,  the call is not
answered and you are in no man's land.

Try explaining to everyone not to pick up the phone until the second
ring? I don't think so.

Also, the audio quality for me through the FXO was terrible due to an
echo,  I apparently do have a long local loop...  Sipura 3000 probably
has similar issue, based on my web research.

The HT-488 is a really good FXS, with a power out fail over, but the
FXO function wasn't very useful for me.  It did get me started as an
asterisk user,  but I had to ditch it as soon as I had everything
working, but my FXO functions remained a problem.

I ended up buying a Wellgate 3701a which was more then twice the price
($200us).  This device has terrible documentation and was a pain to
setup, but once it's setup it works MUCH better then the HT-488.  Audio
quality is much better and reliability is good.  It doesn't like the
asterisk RFC2833.

HTH,
marty