[Asterisk-Users] What does RELAXDTMF do?

Peter J Dean peter.john.dean at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 03:13:23 MST 2006

I have an issue with DTMF. DTMF is being partly recognised by some
external IVR systems (banks, billing, etc), other IVR systems have
intermittent issues. Call our VSP directly and using their IVR system
without issue, and our internal IVR works just fine. Currently i have
all voip devices using RFC2833, which is what is recommended, and
thus the sip.conf file has dtmfmode=rfc2833 and relaxdtmf=yes.

I have not seen any information that clearly defines the purpose of
the relaxdtmf parameter in the sip.conf file, and wondering of
flicking it from yes to no will have an impact, and if so what sort
of impact will it have?

Redhat FC4 + updates
Asterisk v1.2.9.1
SNOM v6.0.3 beta