[Asterisk-Users] IAX Passing Variables

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Jun 6 15:17:51 MST 2006

----- Douglas Garstang <dgarstang at oneeighty.com> wrote:

> Well, what about setting variables before call placement? Say
> you want to set the variable _ALERT_INFO, to have Polycom
> phones auto answer? Essentially the problem is that channel
> variables (with the exception of caller id) are not passed
> from one Asterisk box to another with IAX. How have people
> gotten around this?

With SIP people use SIPHEADER() to send and receive custom headers across the Asterisk servers; with IAX2 I don't think anyone has built a reasonable way of doing it yet. There was some discussion at AstriDevCon about adding the ability to transfer channel variables across an IAX2 call, but nobody has written the code yet.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Senior Software Engineer