[Asterisk-Users] Prices of g729 codec

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Mon Jun 5 21:19:59 MST 2006

On Jun 5, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> JUST DO NOT MAKE A FUCKING PARALLEL PORT DONGLE.  USB that is either
> proprietary all the way, or USB which is USB->serial internally.  I'd
> also
> NOT recommend using a little USB PIC or Atmel part and writing your own
> license code...  there are companies whose business is this, and they
> could
> likely get your costs down significantly.

I agree ( I haven't owned a machine with a parallel port since 1985)
and think this is great "option" to offer.  In particular if a
company/person has a BIG investment in a particular server (many g729
licenses), an option to lock to a dongle, even at an additional cost
would be greatly appreciated IMO.

On the other hand,  home experimenters like me probably prefer to have
the $10 option to experiment with.  I did find the 1 license was
inadequate even for my rinky dink setup.  Try using call waiting from a
phone that's G729 ;~)

I ended up optimizing my routing and running uLaw throughout.

Marty