[Asterisk-Users] Prices of g729 codec

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Mon Jun 5 15:42:14 MST 2006

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

>On Monday 05 June 2006 14:36, Mike Fedyk wrote:
>

>>How hard is it to use a removable ethernet card for this type of usage?
>>Also a USB ethernet if with Linux drivers should be usable for the 1U
>>rackmount use case where all internal slots are in use.
>>

>The (current) problem is that the registration program does not ask which
>ethernet card you wish to bind to, nor does it look at the Asterisk config
>and use the MAC address of the ethernet card whose IP address is referenced
>in bindaddr (as an example).  It grabs eth0 and runs.
>
>The use of a USB ethernet dongle is actually a really simple, clean and
>utterly effective method of doing this, though!  Bret's use of function call
>remapping is even more slick, but kudos for definitely thinking outside the
>box on this one, wow!
>

>From what Bret explained previously about his product, it will include a
license server. If I go with the non-community pooling plan I can have
my license server manage my own pool for my own asterisk servers. That
means I could have test servers use the codec as needed. It also means I
can have hot failover servers without buying redundant licenses.

I wouldn't even consider using usb ethernet or nic cards to make the
Digium licenses movable. I have been looking at some nice motherboards
from intel, tyan and supermicro with 1 to 4 gigabit nics built in.
Everything fits nicely in 1U of rack space. For voip only needs I won't
be using any card slots at all. That usually means better air
circulation inside the case.

If I rember correctly, Bret's license server will allow each license to
be used for any supported platform. Maybe in the future there will be a
popular open source ATA in use and he will provide a g729 module for it.
That means a company could use a common pool of purchased licenses for
server and client needs. I like that approach.