[Asterisk-Users] Prices of g729 codec

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Jun 5 11:04:37 MST 2006

On Monday 05 June 2006 13:05, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> I have proposed that a number of times internally, only to be told
> (vehemently) that customers would never go for it. That includes responses
> from our distributors and channel partners, among others. It would also
> dramatically increase the cost for people buying one or two licenses, so it
> would have be an 'alternate' registration means if it existed.

I too have proposed that to Digium, but without any kind of real response
(this was quite a bit before you were hired, IIRC.)

I think that customers fall into two groups -- those who don't like additional
hardware (too messy) and those who don't care so long as it just works.
having both methods would certainly be beneficial, and could even be an
additional revenue source... $10 for the licenses, $100 (or whatever) for the
dongle, and you can transfer the licenses to the dongle.  Use libusb to
communicate with it and it should be fairly portable as well.

JUST DO NOT MAKE A FUCKING PARALLEL PORT DONGLE.  USB that is either
proprietary all the way, or USB which is USB->serial internally.  I'd also
NOT recommend using a little USB PIC or Atmel part and writing your own
license code...  there are companies whose business is this, and they could
likely get your costs down significantly.

-A.