[Asterisk-Users] Prices of g729 codec

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Jun 5 07:00:37 MST 2006

On Saturday 03 June 2006 04:05, Sahil Gupta wrote:
> We recently had around 60-80 licenses become useless because Digium
> refused to renew the keys on that.  That was a bit of money kissed
> goodbye.

Ok, that's a great fairy tale.  Now tell us the true story.

When you buy licenses from Digium, you register them and they are "branded"
with information from your machine (most likely MAC address of the NIC, but
I'm not 100% sure nor do I particularly care for the details.)

If you upgrade hardware you may have to re-register them.  Digium allows you
to automatically re-register once without phone calls or any explanation.
After that, you cannot re-register without calling Digium and making a case
for it.  This is a restriction placed on them by the patent holders of the
g.729 codec.

So the TRUE story is that you had 60-80 licenses, registered, changed your
hardware, re-registered, changed your hardware AGAIN and for one reason or
another failed to convince Digium that it was a legitimate change to warrant
a re-registration.

I have personally called Digium and provided sufficient reasoning to grant me
a third registration.

So honestly now, Sahil, what did you guys do that was so different?  It
*really* pisses me off when people like you give a half-assed, half-baked
"digium sucks" post.  If you've got an honest beef with Digium, then sure,
lay it all out, but don't present half the fucking story and then bitch about
how the big bad Digium beat you up and stole your lunch money.

... just like my kids...  "Waaaah, Joshua hit me!"  "Yeah but you've been
bugging the shit out of him for the last 5 minutes and he asked you nicely to
stop twice.  I'd have hit you too, Katie."

-A.