[Asterisk-Users] Configuring Polycom 501 IP phones via the console

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Sun Jun 4 14:22:22 MST 2006

Stephen Bosch wrote:
> That's the trouble. So many places to configure!

<snip>

> Here's one source of confusion --
>
> The parameters in the "Server: ..." category are
>
> Address: [this is supposed to be the DNS or IP address of the SIP server]
> Port: 5060
> DNS Lookup: UDP only [I set this to UDP only because the internal DNS
> server we're using here only does UDP]
> Register: Yes
>
> Now I have to set up the lines, so I go back up a level and down into
> "Line 1: ..." where I see
>
> Display Name: [don't know what this is for]
> Address: [what goes here? SIP server address again?]

Okay: I believe I have figured it out through trial and error.

This "Address" field needs to contain the extension's address in the format:

<extension name>@<FQDN of SIP server>

So, in my case:

polycom at asterisk

If I leave the address blank, the phone never registers. If I put the
address in as shown above, it works! (I have been working on this for 2
days, so you can imagine I'm pretty pleased.)

This information really belongs in the wiki, so perhaps I'll register
and update the pages. I hope having this solution in the archives will
help some other lost souls, too.

I'm really frustrated that Polycom's documentation isn't clearer, though...

-Stephen-