[Asterisk-Users] Configuring Polycom 501 IP phones via the console

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at mercury.net
Sun Jun 4 13:25:47 MST 2006

Hi Stephen,

I use the 601's but  I don't think they are THAT much different that
this information won't be helpful or get you in the right direction.

What is your network setup like? Are you using NAT or does the phone
have a public IP address? Also are you seeing any errors on the CLI of
asterisk? I know you said your configurations are local, but are you
using a bootserver (which can be local) to grab the files?

Things I would check if you are using NAT (I think 2-5 need to be done
in the web interface):
1. Make sure your SIP.conf file is configured to use NAT and give it a
port to signal on, say 10000 for example (which I will use below to, but
change to better fit what you would like).
2. Assign the phone an internal address, add port pass thrus for UDP
packets 10000-100050 (I think should be enough) for that IP.
3. Assign RTP port range to start at 10001
4. Make sure you have a NAT address listed in the phone and you have the
signaling port set to 10000 and Media start port at 10001.
5. Also if you are using a DNS name for the server (such as
server-1.whateva.com) I use TCPperferred for DNS lookups.

If you are not using NAT, it pretty much should work out of the box
provided it knows where the server is going. Of course, make sure the
SIP username and password are correct.

I personally used a bootserver and manually changed my configuration
files and I got my 601's working in no time. Hopefully something in here
will help.

Kevin