[Asterisk-Users] Meetme versus app_conference

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sun Jun 4 07:30:26 MST 2006

----- Erick Perez <eaperezh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kevin, if I use ulaw for my sip users and my sip providers.... will i
> minimize the "transcoding" hit to uncompressed mode to my server?
>
> or will the load be the same even if I use g729 everywhere? Im trying
> to optimize my setup as to do transcoding/uncompressing to a minimum.

The choice of codec does not effect the amount of transcoding that needs to be done, only the amount of work required to do it.

If you use all G.729, and the conference normally has a small number of speakers (one or two) then the amount of transcoding required will be very small as all the non-speaking parties will receive the same output stream. app_conference takes this one step further and doesn't even decode/encode at all if there is only on speaker and everyone is using the same codec... but app_meetme cannot do that.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Senior Software Engineer