[Asterisk-Users] transfer & other features

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Sun Jun 4 07:20:26 MST 2006

Well this is exactly what I described in my message earlier today about
DTMF problees with SPA-3000 and the transfer option.

I think that the 'feature' transfer (and others) method, at least with
analog adapters like the SPA-3000, is prone to failure and difficult to
use. I don't see any easy answer outside of an * code fix. If anyone has
an answer I am all ears. For now no feature options in my PSTN dial
commmands. I hate not being able to do things but maybe someday it will be
fixed.

Doug

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006, Paul Hewlett wrote:

> On Sunday 04 June 2006 11:46, Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
> > *CLI> show features
> > Builtin Feature           Default Current
> > ---------------           ------- -------
> > Pickup                    *8      *8
> > Blind Transfer            #       ##
> > Attended Transfer                 *2
> > One Touch Monitor                 *1
> > Disconnect Call           *       *0
> >

> > Dial option is   tTwWr
> >
> > I tried to call from 601 to 615
> > 601   keys in   *0    nothing happens
> >
> > 603   keys  *8      I get the phone call
> >
> > # 621   nothing happens
> >
> > What do I miss ???
>
> We have recently tested call transfer on our system and there are a no. of
> gotchas with the default setup that everybody (in my experience ) trips up
> on.
>
> The first gotcha is that the * and the 8(or 0 or 1 or 2) keys have to be
> pressed pretty quickly before asterisk recognises them. If you watch the
> asterisk console whilst trying to do this it will display a msg
>
>    'attempting to bridge call...'
>
> everytime a key is pressed. Unfortunately the * and 0,1,2 keys are at opposite
> ends of the keypad requiring a 'thumb and finger' action that is unnatural.
>
> The second gotcha is that one must *wait* for Alison to say "Transfer" before
> dialling the number to transfer to. You *cannot* simply dial (from usage
> above)  ##632 in one go. The customer has to be trained to do this.
>
> The third gotcha is that some phones use the # and * keys for their own
> nefarious purposes.
>
> The transfer functionality design could be improved.
>
> We redefine the keys as
>
>             Pickup    88
>             Blind       33
>             attended 22
>             monitor   11
>             disconnect 00
>
> This usually does not not interfere with the dialplan, the customer is easily
> able to press a single key twice rapidly enough and it does not use a key
> that the phone itself uses for other purposes. You still have to wait for
> Alison to say 'Transfer' though...
>
> Paul Hewlett

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug at crompton.com        *