[Asterisk-Users] Prices of g729 codec

Chris Mason (Lists) lists at masonc.com
Sat Jun 3 01:01:27 MST 2006

I have no problem with paying Digium the $10 for G729 licenses, everyone
has to make money. It's the administration of the licenses that sucks. I
experiment with different hardware a lot, and make up demo machines to
install for customers with available hardware. I have to put G729
licenses on them, usually $100 each time, and when I install the real
hardware for the client, I can't transfer the licenses. If I scrap that
machine or change the interfaces, that's a $100 loss. I believe when you
buy a number of licenses, that should determine how many instances you
can use, regardless of how you want to deploy them.
In short, the method of enforcement is poor and leads to resentment from
customers. Surely Digium can construct a better system?

--
Chris Mason
(264) 497-5670 Fax: (264) 497-8463
Yahoo IM: netconcepts_anguilla at yahoo.com