[Asterisk-Users] Prices of g729 codec

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Fri Jun 2 14:57:21 MST 2006

trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

>On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 14:18 -0700, Lee Howard wrote:
>

>>Andrew took issue with my initial sarcastic comment because this thread
>>involves the G.729 codec - but remember that if someone does ultimately
>>choose to obtain a license illegally that they're not cheating *Digium*
>>- rather, they're cheating the patent holder (which is not Digium).
>>

>technically they are doing both becuase the patent holder only wants
>like $0.25/license if bought in quantity.  The remainder goes to digium
>(or whomever else is selling them).

As an example: Company X sells PCs with pirated copies of Windows that,
following proper and normal channels, they should have purchased from
Distributor Y.  Microsoft sues Company X and wins a court judgment
against Company X.

According to your interpretation Distributor Y was also *cheated* out of
money.  Yet, Distributor Y has no legal recourse to any monies from
Microsoft or Company X.  Why?  Because Distributor Y has no exclusivity
agreement with Microsoft guaranteeing it sole distribution rights to the
product.

I'm not trying to make a case to justify illegal activities.  However, I
don't think that a vendor has any claim to losses such as we're discussing.

Lee.