[Asterisk-Users] Prices of g729 codec

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Fri Jun 2 14:18:21 MST 2006

Alejandro Vargas wrote:

> 2006/6/2, Lee Howard <faxguy at howardsilvan.com>:
>
>> The messed-up reasoning was that Digium deserves monetary gratitude
>> because they GPLd Asterisk... and you even said that the reasoning was
>> wrong.
>

> Digium deserves all money they can win.

I agree entirely.

Note, however, that I originally replied to a comment that essentially
indicated that if one did not purchase codec licensing from Digium that
one would be cheating Digium out of money.

Digium deserves all the money they can earn, I agree.  But I entirely
disagree with the notion that I owe them money simply by using software
that they GPLed.

Andrew took issue with my initial sarcastic comment because this thread
involves the G.729 codec - but remember that if someone does ultimately
choose to obtain a license illegally that they're not cheating *Digium*
- rather, they're cheating the patent holder (which is not Digium).

Again, all of my comments have been directed at the erronious notion
that users of GPL software are monetarily indebtted to the developers.
The GPL is very clear about what it wants from the users in return.

So let me repeat ... I encourage everyone to behave in lawful manners.
I am thrilled that Digium can earn a living doing what they do.  I
disagree with the notion (which seems quite prevalent here) that
Asterisk users *owe* Digium money and that users *cheat* them out of
money if they choose to not purchase Digium products.

Lee.