[Asterisk-Users] Config Revision Control

Steven Ringwald asric at asric.com
Fri Jun 2 14:08:17 MST 2006

Bruce Reeves wrote:
> I setup a subversion server and a trunk for my different server
> configs. You might look at that, it does not appear to keep file level
> versions, but it works great here.
>

> On 6/2/06, *Douglas Garstang* <dgarstang at oneeighty.com
> <mailto:dgarstang at oneeighty.com>> wrote:
>
>     Has anyone got any neat solutions for Asterisk .conf file revision
>     control?
>
>     We have multiple Asterisk boxes here, that we'd like to maintain a
>     _mostly_ common set of conf files on. They aren't all the same
>     though. There's subtle differences. For example, in sip.conf,
>     iax.conf etc, the bindaddr setting is different. Dundi.conf is
>     very different between each system.
>
>     At the moment I have a file tree on a separate server, and I use
>     the m4 processor to replace certain unique sections of the files.
>     I have a bunch of scripts to build sip.conf etc and then rsync the
>     files out to the servers. It works, mostly, but it isn't elegant.
>
>     I'd like to revision control all this. I don't know how it could
>     be done with revision control though. As I said, not all the files
>     are the same. I don't know if we'd run a version control client on
>     each Asterisk box, or if we'd run it centrally, and then use rsync
>     again, to copy the files out.

I do something like this with subversion, except that I have a set of
common files that hardly ever change, and then files that are specific
to the machine. The ones that are specific to the machine I use the
'include' functionality to put into the main files. Something like this
*might* help you out.

Steve