[Asterisk-Users] very slow network from GXP-2000 switch port

Bob Chiodini bchiodini at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 04:43:19 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 12:01 +0200, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> Hello,
>
> At a client site yesterday I installed a dozen GrandStream GXP-2000's
> with 1.1.0.13 firmware but I had to backtrack and reactivate the old PBX
> and phones: network access for users windoze PC's through the phone's
> switch port was unbearably slow, making it almost impossible to work.
>
> When plugging back PC's directly to the LAN speed was normal again.
>
> On my test setup with a single phone here a the office I don't have that
> problem.
>
> Is there a known issue with that firwmare version?
>
> Could the switch be playing foul? (a Netgear FSM-7326-PEU)

This sounds like a speed/duplex autonegotiation problem.  Check the PC's
(and phone's) network speed and duplex configuration.  100 Mbit/half
duplex or 10Mbit/full duplex tend to be problematic.

If you ping from the PC to the upstream router and lose half, or more of
the pings this is probably the problem.  Try "forcing" 100 Mbit full
duplex at the PC and/or the switch.   Check the PC's network config
before and after placing the phone in-line.

If they are Windows-based PCs the config is somewhere in the network
properties dialog.  If needed, an example:

http://ots.iit.edu/network/windowsxp_fullduplex.php

For Linux, use ethtool.

Bob...