[Asterisk-Users] Polycom-Asterisk hints/presence

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Jun 1 23:08:03 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 21:16 -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> The way asterisk works is it abstracts concepts from protocol details.

sorta, it would be better if it actually abstracted everything so that
applications (modules prefixed with app_ generally) dont have to know
much, if anything, about a channel (which is the running implementation
of a given protocol as channels use a given protocol).  There would be a
standard interface to tell the channel that some event occured instead
of having some apps require channel specific modules to be loaded for
symbols to resolve, but meh I digress...

As for monitoring other extensions, that may be difficult becuase not
every channel type has support for these types of events.  If you have a
SIP phone that supports BLF you might be able to do something like:

exten => 123,hint,ZAP/1

although I havent tried this and do not know if it works at all.  I have
had issues with it working with other channel types though, but it works
with SIP only clients just fine.

I do know that there is a patch now to monitor via BLF calls that are
parked.  http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=5779
The only thing I am unsure of is how other channels will go into
SubscribeContext as defined in sip.conf, but if that is the only
limitation then it shouldnt be that hard.  About line 5020 in chan_sip.c
there is the part where it looks for the hints and sends the
Subscription-state and that can be adapted (although I havent looked in
enough detail to see how easy this would be) for other channel types.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378