[Asterisk-Users] Polycom-Asterisk hints/presence

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Thu Jun 1 19:29:38 MST 2006

>  I think there was a patch that went in recently from Mark with regard
> to SIP devices and their state when they are ringing/in use and when
> they are just "in use". That may help you with what you're asking
> about.

Let's assume for a minute that there is a way to get a ringing notify,
and that the Polycom processes the messages and properly displays the
status, then;

1. A hint could be setup that monitors the sip user.
2. the hint could have a unique extension
3. the dialplan for the extension could be a call pickup sequence.

Example (without regard for correct syntax)

Exten 123,hint,SIP/345
Exten,123,1,(Need help here -> if sip/345 is idle then goto priority 3)
Exten 123,2,Pickup(SIP/345 at context)
Exten 123,3,Dial(SIP/345)

Now, on the Polycom

1. setup a buddy with the correct display name for exten 345, but with,
but with a contact address of 123
2. turn on presence monitoring (buddy watch in Polycom terms)

Do you see the value in knowing that an extensions is ringing via
presence?

Take it one step further, ask Polycom to implement a feature where the
presence status of ringing can produce an audible event instead of only
visual events. That is, if it does not already, which I have no idea on.