[Asterisk-Users] Optimal Hardware

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Thu Jun 1 08:43:18 MST 2006

On Jun 1, 2006, at 1:36 AM, Akpome Akpoguma wrote:

> I have just finished building a prototype IVR server on a pc for
> demonstration purpose.
>
> My goal is to build a IVR server with the 4G memory, dual xeon
> processor and a 4 x E1 card. The server would strictly receive
> incoming calls and serve WAV files.
>
> my question is: Is this not an over kill?............... has anyone
> done any bench marks to determine the optimal size of an asrerisk
> machine??

This is kind of a meaningless question.  Asterisk has many
capabilities.  Without knowing how the machine is going to work, and
who is going to be using it (and how many), it's not reasonable to
answer.

Avoiding mismatched codecs goes a long way (ie Asterisk doesn't need to
transcode).

There is a section in the wiki for estimating or sizing Asterisk
servers, you might look there.

Marty