[asterisk-users] stream file outputs only silence, even with asterisk example gsm file

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Fri Jul 28 04:25:19 MST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Guido Sohne
[mailto:guido at sohne.net]
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Sent: Fri, 28
Jul 2006 08:19:21 -0300
Subject: [asterisk-users] stream file outputs only
silence,	even with asterisk example gsm file

> Hi all!
>
> I am trying to hook up a text to speech system to Asterisk via AGI.
> The AGI script generates a sound file and tells Asterisk to play that
> file via STREAM FILE. I am creating the sound file in alaw format.
>
> My problem is that I do not get any sound output on my softphone (IAX
> soft phone)
>
> Checking /tmp, we see that the file does exist, which ties in with the
> 200 response code after the script issues a STREAM FILE command to
> Asterisk AGI.
>
> ls -l /tmp
> -rw-r--r--  1 asterisk root 75388 2006-07-28 10:27 tmp4636.92179778618.alaw
>
> I've tried to copy one of the original Asterisk sound files into /tmp
> and then do a STREAM FILE on it. That also does not result in any
> sound being played!
>
> AGI Rx << STREAM FILE /tmp/why-no-answer-mystery #
> AGI Tx >> 200 result=0
>
> ls -l /tmp
> -rw-r--r--  1 guido    guido 10626 2006-07-28 10:31
> why-no-answer-mystery.gsm
>
> So what gives here? I can't understand what is going wrong and would
> appreciate some help.

Have you tried grabbing an audio file and listening to it outside of Asterisk to confirm it's okay? Have you tried listening to it just in the dialplan and not using an AGI at all for streaming it back? We need to eliminate some variables here and narrow down where the issue might be.

> -- G.

Joshua Colp
Digium