[asterisk-users] Mobile SIP Client

Jim Hanlon Jim_Hanlon at mverify.com
Thu Jul 27 06:55:54 MST 2006

Do you have any preference for the mobile operating system? Windows Mobile 5 is an obvious choice: lots of handhelds already have
it, it is a well-understood product with mature development tools available, and it is a reasonably open system.

On the other hand, linux ports to PDAs are common these days, and, depending on your available developer talent, may present a more
economical product development path.

If you are contemplating a WiFi airlink, be sure to do your due diligence on the topic of RF propagation--early reports of SIP over
WiFi are sobering.

If you are thinking of multi-airlinks, either WiFi && Bluetooth or WiFi && cellular, it is best to reference what the handheld
manufacturers are doing in this complex area. Take a look at PCTEL's Roaming Client work for guidance. For a good summary of the
issues, look at the table of contents of an industry report on mobile handset convergence:
http://www.disruptive-analysis.com/sip_and_ims_handsets_toc.htm

HTH,

James Hanlon