[asterisk-users] Polycom 501 provisioning : how to secure values located in plein text files

Mike list at virtutel.ca
Wed Jul 26 19:03:20 MST 2006

Hello,

This is a follow up question to my issues setting up the Polycom 501 when i
first received it.  I've been playing with the provisioning aspect, and it
works great.  My only issue is the following: Its a tradeoff between
efficient and secured, and I'd like to know if I can have my cake and eat it
too.

Context: I have 15 phones in my company.  I have an FTP server, that
contains a directory with a general sip.cfg setup, and 15 phonex.cfg, one
for each phone.

How can I prevent an educated idiot from getting a phonex.cfg file which
isnt meant for him, finding out the reg username and reg.password values and
then passing off as, let's say, his boss and wreaking havoc on the business'
reputation by getting calls which weren't meant for him...?

Mike