[asterisk-users] E1 connectivity question

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Wed Jul 26 04:01:47 MST 2006

Mohamed A. Gombolaty wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have bought a digium TE205p in order to move our E1 pri from a
> siemens pbx to an asterisk server platform, I have already gathered
> the data needed to configure the card but I am troubled by one thing
> that seems unclear on all the documents I read.
>
> The E1 is currently inserted in a modem and from the modem goes out a
> cable to the siemens pbx so should I take the E1 from that modem or
> take the E1 directly from the provider, plus is there any special pin
> assignment.
>
> Your Help will be very much appreciated.
>
> --
> Thx
> MAG

If you really mean to say modem then what you are doing will not work.
Maybe you mean a CSU/DSU?  If it is a CSU/DSU or "the box that the telco
owns, take the cable coming out of it.  Plug it into your asterisk box
and see if you get a green light.  I suspect you will since it is
working with your Siemens box.  If not, make an E1/T1 crossover cable.
Pinout is:
1 -> 4
2 -> 5

Thanks,