[asterisk-users] Caller ID on Transfers

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Tue Jul 25 07:54:24 MST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Douglas Garstang
[mailto:dgarstang at oneeighty.com]
Non-Commercial Discussion [mailto:asterisk-users at lists.digium.com]
Sent:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:37:10 -0300
Subject: RE: [asterisk-users] Caller ID on
Transfers

> > What type of transfer? blind or attended?
>
> Does it matter? Both...
>
> Doug.

Yes, it does matter. An attended SIP transfer is handled much differently then a blind transfer. It starts out as a regular call to another person, Asterisk doesn't know it's actually a transfer. Then when the transfer actually happens the phone says "hey, this call I have up over here to you... it's replacing this other call".

Call flow:

Call #1
Phone A ---> Asterisk ---> Phone B
(Phone A performs attended transfer)
Phone B is put on hold.

Call #2
Phone A ---> Asterisk ---> Phone C
(Phone A transfers Phone B to Phone C)

Transfer
"Hey Asterisk, this call with ID 4653456sdfgawe45 I have up to Phone B... it's replacing this call adsf8wet I have up to Phone C -- they should be talking to eachother"
Phone B ---> Asterisk ---> Phone C
Phone A disappears out of both calls.

With a blind transfer the phone can simply say hey channel... this is your new extension and context.

Joshua Colp
Digium