[asterisk-users] Connecting branch offices through IPsec tunnel --latency effects?

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Tue Jul 25 08:59:00 MST 2006

Stephen wrote:
> If I connect two offices through an IPsec tunnel, what is the impact
on
> latency, and does it noticeably affect calls?
That would depend a lot on the equipment that services the IPSEC tunnel
endpoints.

> Has anyone out there tried this? What were the effects?
I've run small to mid size offices (20 to 60 people) over IPSEC
tunnels during periods of internal network failures with good results.
That includes offices on the opposite side of the world with one-way
latency normally around 100ms, but often up to 160ms.

Using commercial IPSEC endpoints, or OpenSWAN on a decent system only
adds a couple of ms, if that.

Dan