[asterisk-users] Mitel 3300 + *

Barry Porch bporch at watsonconnects.com
Tue Jul 25 08:39:36 MST 2006

The Mitel 3200 was Mitel's first effort at an IP PBX and ran on Windows
NT.  It has been long discontinued (many years ago) and was replaced by
the Mitel 3300.

There is SIP firmware available for the 5212, 5224, 5215, 5220 and 5235
phones on Mitel's sip firmware site at sipdnld.mitel.com.  There have
been regular updates to Mitel's firmware.  The Mitel SIP phones are used
in a number of large TSP installations and work fine with Asterisk.
Mitel provides support for their products through their network of
resellers.  They do not support end users directly.

Mitel IP phones run MiNet which is Mitel's proprietary voip protocol
when used in conjunction with the 3300 and SX-200 ICP PBXs.  This
protocol existed long before SIP and I'm not sure how it is any
stranger, funkier or more obscure than any other proprietary voip
protocol that other vendors use such as cornet or skinny.  The MiNet
protocol enables support for Mitel's 500+ legacy station features and
I'm confident that at whatever point it becomes possible or practical to
map that functionality into SIP that Mitel will do it.  They are very
committed to SIP as a company.

Barry