[asterisk-users] NAT and externip problem or bug

Robert Jenkins raj at jrw.co.uk
Sat Jul 22 12:54:06 MST 2006

The simple thing is that if I have 'externip' set, I can see on a soft phone
(running on a PC on the same local subnet as asterisk) that it's seeing a
call from another local device as coming from 2001 at 212.xx.xx.xx - which is
the external IP and as everything is inside the firewall there is no audio
from the soft phone when the call answered.

If I comment out the 'externip' line & restart asterisk, the soft phone then
correctly sees the local call as being from 2001 at 192.168.0.xx and I get
two-way speech.

Re. multiple clients using port 5060, I have seen comments both ways..
This is how I have it at present and it works (without externip, which
appears to be down to asterisk sending the wrong info & nothing to do with
ports).
As has been said elsewhere, if online VoIP services with thousands of
connections work with a single port, why should there be a problem smaller
numbers of clients?

Robert Jenkins.