[asterisk-users] Unicall, not HOW but WHY

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Sat Jul 22 02:27:34 MST 2006

On 20 Jul 2006, at 20:27, Barzilai wrote:

> Warning: This message is a valid question, and is also kind of a
> [RANT] at the end... but I'm high on caffeine and I had fun writing
> it.
> The ranting part more or less reflect the state of the Asterisk
> ecosystem until the end of 2005, which has been getting a little
> better but a lot of the garbage remains.
> At least someone answer my questions :-)

Ok, I feel your pain, BUT, there is no point in taking it out on the
Asterisk community.

When I first encountered my local PRI variant  (Euro ISDN) 10 years ago
I tried to configure a $10k Dialog to talk to it, I couldn't get it to
work, until some guy on the Dialogic Forum told me to
to use the GUI interface and then take a texteditor to an ini file
to change an 0x0C to 0x0A and add a line
0x0A=0ff. That was to make it work with the standard
for the whole of western europe!

So, what I'm saying is that Telephony standards are messy,
and vary from country to country and carrier to carrier, so
inevitably you get weird config files.

Now, at least with Open source you can find out what options
exist from looking at the code, even if you don't
have an exact recipe for your carrier.

Do I wish it wasn't like that - sure - can it be fixed by
developers - no.

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.com