[asterisk-users] Codec Negotiation

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Fri Jul 21 11:21:28 MST 2006

Here's a post Kevin Fleming made to the group on Dec 12, 2005, in response to my question on this subject.
I was quite clear about my question, and does not involve clustering, only N number of Asterisk boxes all pointed to the same database. It seems his reply is also quite clear.
It's good that it's working for you. I guess you got lucky.

"Douglas Garstang wrote:
> Thanks.... while we're on the topic of realtime. Can realtime sipusers be shared amongst multiple Asterisk boxes, to share a common location database? I'm sitting here on a Sunday jerking around with it, having problems. I'd like to know before I spend more Sundays doing the same thing if it's even supposed to work or not.

Uhhh... you already quoted my previous message on that topic stating
that it was not supported at this time. In any given situation, it may
or may not work properly, depending on exactly what the servers and
clients are doing.

Even if the code had been written, there will still be many issues
involved in actually implementing it, including (but not limited to) NAT
traversal, call limit handling, registration expiration and others. It
also mandates that there can be _no_ caching of peer/user information in
memory, which currently means there is no 'qualify' or MWI notification
possible."

Doug