[asterisk-users] Load balenced (ADSL) network connections, is it possible?

Alex Robar alex.robar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 11:51:07 MST 2006

Have you checked out pfSense? It's based on the BSD firewall "m0n0wall",
supports multiple WAN links and load balancing between them. Seems like it
might do the trick for you. Philip Mullis will be giving a talk regarding
how to get it all setup at the next Toronto Asterisk User's Group meeting,
if you're local to Toronto too.

Alex

On 7/20/06, phil.dawson at marnock.com <phil.dawson at marnock.com> wrote:

> Have you considered SDSL for higher bandwidth?  Also, a dual wan router
> would help with your load balancing problem?  Just google'd and spotted
> one
> that seems to be voip friendly.  For incoming calls you could ask your ISP
> to bind your ADSL/SDSL feeds.
>
> Hypothetical offcourse :-)
>

> http://www.peplink.com/productsFeatures.php?productName=balance
>

> Phil.
>

> ----- Message from "Chris Blunt" <chris.blunt at entropy-it.com> on Thu, 20
> Jul 2006 14:10:37 +0100 -----
>
>       To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>
> Subject: [asterisk-users] Load balenced (ADSL) network connections, is it
>           possible?
>

> Hi List,
>
> I need to put an Asterisk server in a remote office where only ADSL is
> available.  Maximum of 8meg downstream 646k upstream.
>
> I need to handle 20 concurrent calls over IAX preferably uLaw, so 64k per
> channel.
>
> Is it possible to somehow have multiple NICs in the server each with a
> different IP address pointing to a different default gateway (router). But
> then some how load balanced into a virtual network connection?
>
> Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated – just in case I have gone off
> at a wild tangent.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
>
> Chris Blunt