[asterisk-users] Load balenced (ADSL) network connections, is it possible?

Thomas Kenyon digium at sanguinarius.co.uk
Thu Jul 20 06:31:46 MST 2006

Chris Blunt wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I need to put an Asterisk server in a remote office where only ADSL is
> available. Maximum of 8meg downstream 646k upstream.
>
> I need to handle 20 concurrent calls over IAX preferably uLaw, so 64k
> per channel.
>
> Is it possible to somehow have multiple NICs in the server each with a
> different IP address pointing to a different default gateway (router).
> But then some how load balanced into a virtual network connection?
>
> Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated – just in case I have gone
> off at a wild tangent.
>
> Thanks

Well, for 20 channels over trunked IAX, you will need roughly 1300Kbps
up and downstream using G.711u (over 1500Kbps if not trunked).
With a pair of ADSL connections, with QoS, you still don't really have
anough bandwidth.
Are you sure using G.729 or G.723.1 (or even G.726) wouldn't be allowed?

Also, it's worth finding out if the local exchange is ADSL 2+ enabled
with any operator (16Mb/1Mb).

Also worth noting, that if you sign up to an 8Mbit service, and your
ADSL modem manages to sync at that speed (never seen it, but it's not
impossible). Your actual throughput will only be 7150Kbps (also upstream
will be less than stated by the sync rate). This is before you lower
these even more through use of QoS.