[asterisk-users] Asterisk process run amock

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Wed Jul 19 18:25:37 MST 2006

Hi,

I looked into my box today via SSH and there was an asterisk process
consuming all available CPU.

I am running 1.2.10 from tar ball on Mac OSX 10.46 (G3/400).

There was no seeming issue with the performance of asterisk ie
everything was working (that I could hear).  I noticed there was also
another asterisk process running?

Show channels returned 0 in use.

I used "kill" to kill the amok  * WHILE i was dialed into the echo
test from an SIP phone. Which didn't even interrupt the echo test.

I know there has been some discussion of threading models in
different OS's using multiple asterisk process?

Why would I have a rogue process but the system still works?

I noticed when I upgraded from 1.2.9 I didn't need to manually
restart asterisk, 1.2.10 was already running after I did a stop
gracefully from the asterisk CLI.

Thanks for any ideas/explanations/troubleshooting tips for this.
Marty