[asterisk-users] Zap channel faxing in or out fails but phone calls work.

Jerry Jones jjones at danrj.com
Wed Jul 19 12:17:05 MST 2006

I would agree with you on just about everything.

Except the op had his fax connected via channel bank directly to *
and a pri on the other port - ie no packets involved here.

However - all faxing does involve the transfer of frames from one fax
to the other and that is was ecm handles. But yes even with
traditional tdm circuits in between and no voip you still get frame
losses. Which should be minimal and ecm should be able to compensate
for.

However, in the real world (tm), most of my customers are very
sensitive to how long does it take to send a page vs are there any
slight imperfections on a page. And yes we have found that MOST
issues involve poor fax machines. Why customers whose 'business
depends on these 100s of faxes daily' choose to buy $100 faxes and
place on a single line is beyond my comprehension.