[asterisk-users] Using dproxy to solve "no DNS hangseverything"problem?

James Harper james.harper at bendigoit.com.au
Tue Jul 18 22:33:14 MST 2006

> > Your post inspired me to do one more little test: I removed the
default
> > route from my Asterisk server, waited until the error messages
started
> > streaming out of the CLI, and then called my POTS line.
>
> Thats a neat way of testing it. but it also means I can't do it thru a
> remote SSH.

Blocking DNS would be sufficient to simulate an upstream failure where
packets are being dropped:

iptables -I OUTPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j DROP

No default route, or an unplugged cable should behave more like this
rule:

iptables -I OUTPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j REJECT

in that the network stack should be able to know that the packet won't
get there and inform the application, rather than the application just
timing out.

James