[asterisk-users] Using dproxy to solve "no DNS hangs everything"problem?

James Harper james.harper at bendigoit.com.au
Tue Jul 18 16:38:37 MST 2006

> The subject pretty much says it.
>
> Wondering if there's anyone out there who, as an alternative to
> hard-coding IP addresses in /etc/hosts, has implemented dproxy or
> somesuch to enable Asterisk to survive DNS outages.
>
> I had a royal mess on my hands this morning after my Internet
connection
> went down for a while.  No DNS = No Anything if there are FQDNs in the
> conf files.  The server hangs, affecting the Zap stuff too, which is
WAY
> bad for me.
>
> I need to bite this particular bullet.  My POTS line was offhook all
> morning because my Internet was out, and the first call that came in
> caused everything to freeze up and the channels were all hung.

This is a problem that affects more than just asterisk, so I'm sure
there are solutions out there!

One thing you might do is to put a trailing '.' on all fully qualified
DNS names. Without the '.', the system will first try appending the
default domain(s), which will cause extra lookups and delays. If all the
names that you care about can be resolved locally without needing the
internet then the trailing '.' should make it work much faster.

Of course, I'm assuming that you do have a local DNS of some sort, and
the delays you are seeing are caused by your systems thinking they want
to look up external names.

James