[asterisk-users] Regression testing dialplan changes

Nic Hughes nicolas.h at virgin.net
Mon Jul 17 02:25:07 MST 2006

From: Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>

> Do you expect those tests to run on a running Asteris system or a copy
> of the configuration file?

What I am after is the current best practice for running regression tests against a running Asterisk system with config files, AGI scripts etc all in place.

> What do you want to test, exactly?

I see two main risk areas that I want to deal with right now:
1. Changes to my dialplan causing existing functions of the dialplan to fail
2. Changes to an underlying component (mostly AGI and then database) causing an unexpected error in call handling via the dialplan.

To put this into perspective I currently have quite a bit of my more complex logic in AGI scripts - as these are written in PHP I have PHPUnit scripts which can be run very quickly to validate that nothing has ceased working that was working last time I ran the test set. I have a similar test suite for my web-based management interface to the application.

The missing link is the dialplan itself - I currently have no test suite which I can quickly run against the dialplan to confirm that it is still working as expected. I would like to shift away from using AGI quite so much for performance reasons but if that means I cannot put my hand on my heart and say "yes it is working, I have re-run every test" after every version upgrade or bug-fix then I am not going to do it.

--
Nic