[asterisk-users] SRTP enabling

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Sun Jul 16 08:34:02 MST 2006

Abdul Lateef wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was trying to support SRTP in asterisk for our
> Linksys IP Phones to prevent of ISP blocking issue.
>
> I compiled successfully SRTP from
> http://srtp.sourceforge.net/srtp.html
> But i don't know from where i should start to
> configure in Asterisk.
>
> Could someone please give me the example sip.conf for
> the way how i can support?
>
> You replies will be high appriciated.

Most of the blocking in other countries, was not for RTP traffic, but
for signaling traffic (SIP usually, Mexico x Vonage comes to mind).
You are sure they are blocking RTP traffic ?
And, from what I understand, in some places the gov. forced the ISPs to
remove the blocking (at least, I heard of one such a case in Brazil, a
DSL provider started to block SIP, and Anatel, Brazil gov. entity that
regulate telephony and others, asked them to remove the blocking, others
with more knowledge of the case may be able to add their remarks)

Blocking SIP if you control the server is somewhat easy to prevent (if
is a plain dumb UDP port 5060 filtering), just have your server listen
in another UDP port...