[asterisk-users] Asterisk instances on VPS

Robert Michel news at robertmichel.de
Sat Jul 15 07:40:15 MST 2006

Salve Tzafrir, *!

I found Gustavo's mail on the vserver ml and it is IMHO
not the primary problem with a vserver - but I know to
less about ISDN to give him the right tip.

(without vserver)
Does this belongs to digium drivers or to ISDN in general?
Aren't there ISDN cards, where two diffrent aplications
could use two b-channels at the same time?

1. Where are documentation how to do this?
2. Is this possible with digium hardware, with TE110P, too?

Whithout this information I know only that a third asterisk on
the vserver could serve the channels for the two asterisk instances,
or probably a second TE110P card could help.

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 05:43:09PM -0300, Gustavo Alejandro Gonzalez wrote:
> > Hi folks!
> >
> > I'm setting up a debian box with kernel 2.6 running virtual private
> > servers with a TE110P card, at this moment i have two instances of
> > vps running and i want to run asterisk on every one,
>
> I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.
>
> Asterisk's chanzap and the kernel zaptel connect mainly via /dev/zap/ctl .
>
> AFAIK only one instance of Asterisk can have this file open. That is:
> if two instances open two such device files, who get messages relevant
> to each span?

So it's not (yet) possible let two applications use one digium card?
AFAIK is ISDN access quite time-critical, so a hack with a script to
fake /dev/zap/ctl1 /dev/zap/ctl2 will not worth a try for Gustavo?
(Beside complexity for rules how to split /dev/zap/ctl for the fakes)
Right?

Would I be right that, that Gustavo should ask Digium directly about
this topic?

Greetings,
rob