[asterisk-users] need a pointer about scripting asterisk

nephish nephish at xit.net
Thu Jul 13 19:56:17 MST 2006

lo there,

i am brand new to asterisk. i have managed to get it installed and
running, made a basic dial plan, etc... But what i really need to do run
it, or initiate phone calls from python ( or maybe ruby )
i looked at pyst and py-aster but the docs seem really scarce.

our company monitors field equipment. when the status of said equipment
changes, we send our customer a page. We also track it on a website for
them. But now we want to add IVR. So i need to know a good place to
start to be able to send out a phone call with a pre-recorded message
when an event happens.

So the pointer i need is... what would be a good way to tell asterisk to
make a phone call from outside of asterisk. I would welcome any links to
any docs, tutorials, etc...

thanks all,
sk